Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Grass and sunflower seeds

My cats like grass.  Both Sake and Haiku like to chew on grass.  I do not understand it, because it makes them throw up.  Maybe it helps them with hairballs.  I do not know.

What I do know is that Sake is very particular about grass.  Apparently many cats like grass, so you can buy indoor grass growing kits in the cat section of the store. My cats like Smarty Kat Sweet Greens the best, of the types I have purchased. But Sake likes outside grass the best. There are shocks of rye grass in my yards that I frequently cut for Sake.  She seems to prefer that more than the indoor grass varieties.  Except for the snowy parts of winter, we have had outside grass available.  When we sit out in the summer, the girls like to chew on grass outside... They seem to prefer rye to Bermuda.. Hmm.

A friend of mine told me that her cat likes sunflower seeds.  I thought it was an anomaly.  A few weeks later, I saw a cat treat with sunflower seeds and seaweed.  Sake likes those treats. Haiku, my picky eater really seems to like those treats. 

I feed outside cats.  I do not want to, but I feed wild birds, and the area cats feast on the wild birds.  So, I feed the outside cats, which keeps the bird kills down (although during the very cold winter weather, we had a lot of bird kills.) I have seen the outside cats under the birdfeeders.  I thought they were checking out bird droppings.  But, I saw one eating something: a sunflower seed.  I would not think of sunflower seeds as cat food.  But cats do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home