Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Star Spangled Banner

I have to admit to a time in my life when my patriotism was at a very low ebb... Then I met Lisenby, and he was an ex-Marine, and Southern.  But, he was a patriot... and he explained to me how important patriotism is... And, he made me a believer...

Patriotism after the Vietnam War was not a popular thing. Sad to say.

Ronald Reagan, as President, made it okay to be a patriot again, and that was a good thing.

Now, when I hear patriotic songs, my heart swells, my throat clutches, and I want to cry. I love patriotic music. 

I am so glad that "The Star Spangled Banner" is played at the beginning of most sporting events in this country... I go to the West Winds Brass Band concert, and they start each concert with the Star Spangled Banner.  What other events begin with The Star Spangled Banner?  Gee, I do not know.  School children may or may not say "The Pledge of Allegiance" to the flag.  Where, except for sporting events, do we extol our country? I do not know... Oh my. 

How do we expect our country to persist and exist and maintain, if we do not include patriotic acknowledgements in our daily lives.   I am not a zealot.  I am not a fanatic.  I just think we need to recognize our patriotic feelings openly.

A couple of years ago, I was taking a train at an airport from one concourse to the next.  A soldier in uniform got on the car, and an elderly woman immediately spoke to him, telling him that she thanked him for his efforts.  The rest of us in the car echoed that... But, who amongst that group would have thought to do that without the prompting from that woman?  I do not know.

The American Flag flies outside the TDCJ prison unit where  I work... Maybe I need to start saluting that flag every morning, as an acknowledgement of my patriotism...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home