Saturday, December 25, 2010

Cooking With Cast Iron

I do not know when I realized this, but is was probably in the early 1908s, that I realized that I like cooking with cast iron cookware...It is not difficult: these days, most cast iron cookware is pre-seasoned, but if it is not, slathering it with lard or shortening and baking it while seasons is not a difficult thing to do...

Cast iron cookware is good for on the stove, in the oven, and on a campfire or barbecue grill (gas or charcoal.)  It is not exactly non-stick, but with oil, it is low stick, especially with regular stirring.  You can fry, boil, stew, bake, slow cook. 

I have a wok, which I use regularly, but just as regularly, I use an iron skillet...

I am grateful for a lesson from my mother-in-law about cast iron cookware:  It is easy to clean.  If you have food stuck onto the cast iron cookware, fill it full of water, and boil. Once the water is drained, the stuck on food will lift easily... And, the best way to then dry the cook ware is to put on heat and dry the water off... I have used my cook ware this way from the early 1980s and it really works well!  Thanks  to my mother-in-law! 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home