Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If I Die

Hmmm.  One of my cousins died this week... Evidently, he had a massive heart attack in his sleep... There were many phone calls across the country to update everyone about this traumatic event....My prayers and best thoughts are to his family.  It is a blessing he left us in this way.  In a way I would want to leave this life. Without prolonged pain and suffering.

In the course of discussing this with family and friends, many of us said "if I die" or acknowledged we have said "if I die" in some context.  And all of those folks, self included, corrected ourselves to say "when I die." 

We do not want to admit our mortality...
 John Donne said " No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."



Yes we know our mortality...Nay we do not want to admit it....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home