Friday, March 19, 2010

Owning books

I love to read, and go through periods of my life in which I would describe myself as a voracious reader.  Currently, I have too many other projects to allow me to be a voracious reader, but I still rather read than do many other things.  But I do not usually buy books.  I am a big supporter of the public library system, and tend to get my books there.  Also videos and DVDs.  Except I do buy books at the Friends of the Library book sale.  More than I intend.

I now belong to two reading groups, and for the reading groups, I buy books, so I do not monopolize a library book someone else may want, but can hold onto it until we have our discussion.  So, I am finding myself with books that I have read, and will not read again.  I realized today why I do not buy books.  I feel guilty having books on my shelf, and not having anyone else read them.  So, when I finish with a book, I have to try to find someone to pass it on to. You may become the recipient of an un-asked for book.  If you do, return it or share... Please do not let it collect dust on a shelf.

Having said that, I have many keepsake books: books I read that I enjoyed so much, purchased after reading, or some very old books, and of course, the books that are gifted to me...(not to share, but as a special present.)

A word about buying books.  I use Abe Books  www.abebooks.com,  because it is possible to get many books for very low cost, some for a dollar and shipping.  Even recently published books are available inexpensively on Abe.  Some are new, some are used, some are paperback, some are hardback, some are trade editions... But books, never the less.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger linda said...

I love AbeBooks! LOVE LOVE LOVE AbeBooks. However, I also recommend Half.com, for buying *and* selling - it could help you get rid of those ones you don't want on your shelf. (Although I also support the giving-them-to-others plan.)

March 22, 2010 12:28 AM  
Blogger jnap said...

Linda,

Thanks for the tip about Half.com. I may need it sooner than later. I have agreed to join a book exchange chain letter thing that involves sending and getting books. I am excited, it will be interesting to see if I get anything...

March 23, 2010 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home