Wednesday, July 21, 2010

This is Why I Belong in Prison

I have recently had many casual conversations wtih coworkers that revolve around the topic "This is Why I Belong in Prison."  We talk about how the job fits for us. 

I am not sure why, but this job does fit with me...One aspect is the fact that I wanted to serve the underserved.  I can not think of a more underserved population than prisoners.  

I have often told this story:  When I was a teenager, my mother used to say that if I continued my behaviors I would end up pregnant or in jail.  My first social work job was in adoptions, and I did a lot of counseling with pregnant women. 

So, now, I work in a prison.

Maybe my mother knew me better than I knew myself, and better than I thought she knew me....

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home