Monday, May 09, 2011

Lazlo Toth and Corporate America

In the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s I frequently wrote letters to corporate American, generally with complaints, but sometimes with praise regarding the way they conducted business.  I was a fan of Saturday Night Live, and the character by Don Novello, Father Guido Sarducci. At some point in time, he started writing letters to corporate and government individuals, using the name of Lazlo Toth, with some success of response http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Novello.  I told a supervisor about my penchant for writing to corporations about various things, and she turned me on to Lazlo Toth. He has a few books. I already own a couple, and am ordering another.

I do not write to corporate American with the frequency I used to write, but sometimes, I still do let corporate America know what I am thinking.  Maybe I need to do more of that.  (Maybe we all do.)

Most recently, I wrote to the people who market the Acura http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=TL. Their marketing campaign calls the car "aggressive."  I think we have too much aggression in society, and touting a car as aggressive will only add to our ills. An aggressive car begs for the driver to engage in road rage with no abandon, and no regard for consequences. 

I have sent a snail mail letter to the car company about my concerns.  But really, folks, are they not smart enough and wise enough to realize that advertising a car as aggressive is inviting road rage.  Are they not smart enough to realize that someone being sued for road rage will blame their advertisement as the precipitating or influencing factor?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home