Friday, February 12, 2010

The Winter Olympics 2010

My interest in the Olympics has waxed and waned over the years.  I still remember watching the 1960 Squaw Valley Olympics after school, snacking on carrots and celery... I loved it..

I was a fan of Jean Claude Killy of the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble...

I have watched other Olympics... I remember NBC using "Prodigy" (an ISP) when the Lillehammer games were held in 1994.  It was the beginning of the personal PC era... Prodigy no longer exists, but AOL, a Prodigy rival,  still does.

The opening of the Beijing games in 2008 was phenomenal !

For a non-political entity, there has been lots of politics involved in the Olympics.  This year is no different.  The opening ceremony featured the First Canadians and Aboriginal Peoples.   But this is a positive political statement. There have been negative political political statements through out the years, and I do not need to recount those.

Watching the opening ceremony tonight, I thought it was interesting that it was reported that the Prime Minister of Canada went to the Parliament and exhorted the Canadian people to suspend their reserve and wave their flags and cheer for their athletes... The "Americans" know how to do this:  "USA, USA"

We are saddened by the death of Georgian Luge athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili.  I think it was right to dedicate the opening ceremony to him, and for the Georgian contingency to participate in the ceremony...

It will be interesting to see how the games fare.  My primary interest is the ice skating:  Figure Skating, Ice Dancing, Pairs skating (is that right?)

Good luck and God Speed to all the athletes, and everyone at the Olympics....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home