Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Learning for Learning Sakes

Some almost 15 years ago, a very dear and wise woman said to me that you do not have to be in school to learn...She was right then, and she is right now...She was responsible for expanding my professional and clinical knowledge at my (then) new job...Her support and encouragement spurred my interest in learning...It was great. But, truth be known, I have always been interested in learning.

I am now a member of the Osher Life Long Learning Institute http://www.depts.ttu.edu/outreach/.
This is a collection of classes, seminars, concerts, lectures, reading circles, and what not for people over 50, who want to expand their horizons and broaden their knowledge base. 

I have taken classes in archeology, astronomy, comparative religion, printing, and mystery books. I attend the monthly Reader's Circle.  I have had discounted admission for the pre-concert dinner and the Lubbock Symphony Orchestra...I have taken an art tour, and a tour of the new county jail.

I have met new people enjoyed the discussions and interactions.  I have not listed everything I have done.

I will tell you that it is a really interesting experience.  Some of the classes are late afternoon, or at night.  I have decided to sometimes take time off from work to attend classes.  And it is well worth it..

Many of the classes are not convenient for someone who works full time, but the options are there, and I take advantage....

I am so glad I have the opportunity to learn without being in school... Thanks!  OLLI.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger linda said...

I kind of already knew about most of this (although not the particular name/link of that institute) but I just want to publicly declare that it's awesome.

April 14, 2010 1:41 PM  
Blogger jnap said...

Linda,

Thanks for your comment. Advertise OLLI. I suspect you know folks who would enjoy learning for learning's sake.

j

April 14, 2010 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home