Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Creature Comforts

I have so many creature comforts... Using my neck pillow precipitated this essay, but it is only one of my creature comforts.  Not familiar with my neck pillow?  Hmm. It is a terry cloth covered horseshoe pillow, filled with rice and lavender.  It is designed to be heated in the microwave, which releases the scent of lavender, and the soothing heat for the neck and shoulders.   It is wonderful.. Long ago, I was able to bring one to work, and am so thankful it is there when I need it... Sometimes, I need it because of the tension in my neck and the pain from the tension and the crushed vertebrae in my neck.  Just as often, I use it because it helps to warm me when I have taken a chill, and need some warm comfort...

Another comfort are the throws and afghans I have scattered throughout the house... If I sit at the computer, on the sofa, or at the dining table, a throw or afghan is available.  In addition to the blanket on my bed, I have an afghan over the comforter, for the very chilly nights (I have  the furnace set at 65 degrees for sleeping.  I have an automated thermostat, so am plenty warm for morning risings, and the evenings.  I fear I leave the cats in a colder than they would like house, but Sake does not seem to mind, and Haiku sleeps under the bed covers, so I think they are at least okay.)  If the bathroom is too cold, I have a heater to help.

I am not afraid of warmed drinks.  I no longer drink coffee all day and night, but use herb teas (no caffeine) to help warm me. I also drink warm lemonade, and sodas.  

Sometimes, my feet really are hurting, and I have to soak them in hot water.  Usually, I use an Epsom salt soak.  It is amazing how wonderful that relaxes my feet.

I have a lot of problems with back spasms.  Electric heating pads or medicated heat patches help very much...

Sometimes a warm, fuzzy bathrobe is just the right thing to keep me comfortable. Sometimes, a hot shower, not for cleaning but for warming, does the trick...

Hot soup is another creature comfort that warms me through and through.

I have a electronic unit that helps to relax my muscles, very much like an electronic massage.  It is wonderful...

Scented candles and incense help me to relax also...

Do you get the idea.  Creature comforts are where we find them... Enjoy and relax.  Happy New Year!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home