Saturday, December 04, 2010

Happy 75th Anniversary

Today, I went with friends to the Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge http://www.fws.gov/southwest/REFUGES/texas/muleshoe/index.html, which was holding a 75th anniversary celebration.  We were given a gift bag, heard historical presentations, took a van tour of the facility, and stayed to watch the Sandhill Crane fly in for the night.  Part of the history of the refuge is that it was the first one established in Texas.  Also, the work establishing the facility was part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) of the Franklin Roosevelt era.

I have been out to the refuge several times before, at various times of the year.  I am impressed at the work they do.  I love looking out over the plains, seeing the sunset, watching the Sandhill Crane fly in.  I love the wide open spaces of West Texas.

It was a long day, but a very relaxing day for me... I am grateful to my friends for inviting me to be with them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home