Sunday, February 06, 2011

Homeless

Lisenby taught me about being homeless.  The song that says "there but for fortune go you or I" http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/ochs-phil/there-but-for-fortune-11446.html by Phil Ochs says it all.  The homeless are an unseen, unthought about part of our population.

When we lived downtown, Lisenby noticed there was a homeless man who made regular rounds in our alley: he had a schedule.  The day he came to our dumpster, Lisenby liked to put out a partially used loaf of bread (fresh, not whole, he said that would insult the man), and an open can of meat or tuna (also fresh).  I did not understand at first, but after a while, it made sense.

Some years ago, I was walking in the park on a cold morning. My dog, Mack, was with me.  I had my pack that had water for Mack, my binoculars, a bird book, food for the ducks, a flashlight and who knows what else.  I was approached by a woman who wanted to know if I needed a place to stay. She thought I was a homeless bag lady.  (In a way, that was a compliment.)  And, bless her, she was very concerned about my welfare.  

During the recent cold snap in Lubbock, the Carpenter's Church http://carpenterschurchlubbock.org/Carpenters_Church/Welcome.html provided hot meals, tents and sleeping bags for the homeless.  The Red Cross http://lubbock.redcross.org/ 
coordinated with the Salvation Army http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/C8E25018EBCE0BED80256DDD00596F17?openDocument&charset=utf-8 to provide care: the shelter was open all day, instead of at night, and 3 hot meals per day were provided.

I am grateful these agencies are tending to this part of our society that are the unseen, nameless, forgotten.

I have been fortunate to have the creature comforts I want: a vehicle that works; a furnace that heats my house; hot water, hot meals, warm clothing. God has blessed me well.



If you are reading this blog, and have a way to support a program that supports homeless people, please open your heart to do so...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home