Saturday, February 12, 2011

NASCAR

I have been a NASCAR fan since the early 1980s.  My level of interest has waxed and waned.  My heart was broken when Dale Earnhardt died. 

I have not liked some of the changes made. I thought the "Chase" was unnecessary... NASCAR wanted to set up a situation in which the race winners were more competetive for the championship.  Well, the simple solution was to give MORE bonus points for race winners.  They went to the "Chase" format instead.  Sorry, it did nothing for me.

NASCAR moved their venues away from the small, character race tracks and gave venues to the large cookie cutter race tracks.  I understand the economics of it, but it really destroyed some of the character of NASCAR.

I think, also, that corporate America has too much influence on NASCAR.  The early days were made of rogues, moonshiners and dirt poor shade tree mechanics as well as serious drivers.  Of course that has changed, and NASCAR is now about big money and not necessarily racing. I think that has homgenized NASCAR and taken away its wonderful, quirky, personal feel. 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home