Wednesday, February 24, 2010

We must be special

I am planning to take next Wednesday off from work.   The reasons are several: 

First of all, a day off can be invigorating, as my day off when we had snow and ice demonstrated to me (and I know this, anyway.)

Second, I was planning to take the afternoon off, anyway, as I am signed up to take a tour of the new county jail.

Third, I discovered that I will lose some leave if I do not take it by March...

The stars aligned, and it made sense to take the entire day off... To be honest, if I just took the afternoon off, my regular pattern of work would end up with me still putting in forty hours of work...I really do not want to lose that leave...

I am really looking forward to the tour of the new county jail... That was apparent in the discourse with my supervisor about my taking the day off...

My supervisor teaches a class at a local university... Today, she was taking her class to the new county jail and told me she was really looking forward to it... Her comment was, "we must be special" (to look forward to touring a jail.)

We must be...Who amongst us cares about jails and prisons, their conditions, the services they provide, they way they operate.  One of our wardens said something to the effect of treating the least of us with respect, although we do not have to, makes us better people... Don't you think?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger jnap said...

At the lecture 2/265/2010, there were several people who also were going to tour the new county jail. They,too, were looking forward to the tour. So, maybe we are not that special. Or, even better, these are special people,too.

February 26, 2010 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home