Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Family Reunions

As I was growing up, I recall that we went to several family functions over the years.  These were usually precipitated by a wedding, funeral, baptism or anniversary...They were generally interesting,sometimes fun, and loud, noisy, and involving food, alcoholic drinks for the adults, lots of music and lots of people.

When I moved to Texas, I learned that many, many families in this part of the world have family reunions.  Major family reunions.  I was amazed about these family reunions.  They could involve more than 100 people, even almost 300 people...Wow!

These family reunions may be held at hotels, church camps, summer camps, resorts, retreats, camping facilities. 

I was amazed at how well organized these reunions are:  There might be annuals or facebooks, with pictures of last year's reunion, or pictures of those folks expected to attend. Or, the reunion might produce a photo/memory book of the reunion.

The reunion might use the staff of the facility they are using for providing meals, housekeeping, so the participants are free to socialize.  They may have organized activities: games, dances, bingo, contests.

Some of the reunions will have things like hats, T shirts, tote bags to identify the participants and commemorate the event...

That is wonderful!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger linda said...

The Mormons are really into this too. (A Western thing?) Naturally, with their unabashed support of big families, within a couple generations they can have enough people for quite a party. I've been to one in Utah. I'm pretty sure the Squires go to ones on that side awesome. I do think they're a cool idea, regardless of the family size.

September 25, 2010 10:42 AM  
Blogger jnap said...

Linda,

I was wondering if family reunions like this were a Western thing... But who knows. I would like input from others.

September 25, 2010 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home