Thursday, June 03, 2010

Denial

Denial is actually a very important coping mechanism of the human psyche.  We experience it often.  Elizabeth Kubler Ross http://www.ekrfoundation.org/ identified it as one of the stages of grief, in her early works on death and dying.  Denial saves us a lot of pain and suffering, when we are not able to withstand the emotional impact of the early onslaught of pain and suffering.

I am very much aware of the enormous, catastrophic impact of the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  It makes me physically ill to think about it, and the impact it is having on the wildlife and environment.  So much so, I just can not think about it much.

So, when my friends tell me that it makes them sick to think about it, then proceed to talk about, I tell them to stop...

Sorry. I am in major denial.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home